Layer It On!
Iowa winters have been known to get as cold as -45 degrees. Arctic temperatures require some seriously warm attire! What’s the best plan of action for combatting the chilly conditions? Layering your outfits and then taking off pieces as needed.
Layered clothing is a way of dressing that uses many garments that are worn on top of each other. Each article of clothing can be used to serve a different purpose. This allows for flexibility based on your own set of circumstances. For instance, it’s freezing outside but Sally Smith has your office set at 85 degrees? Not to worry.
Here’s some tips on how to best stock your closet for the varying weather conditions.
- Vests: These come in a variety of great styles, colors, and textures. A long sleeve t shirt or thermal are some options that can be worn underneath. A coat can be worn on top for extra warmth. They look great with jeans, sweats or dress pants. They can be dressed up or down. The options for a great vest are really endless.
- Scarves: They keep your neck warm, add visual interest to an outfit, and can be worn in a variety of styles. Some different types are wraparound and infinity scarves.
- Plaid shirts: This style of shirt is especially popular during the fall months. They are usually made of fairly lightweight material that makes them perfect for cool temperatures and the perfect material for layering. Tshirts, camis, and snug fitting knitwear can be worn underneath them. Jean jackets and cardigans look great over them. They look cute with skirts and tights, jeans, or leggings.
- Capes: Break out your inner superhero by adding a cape to your wardrobe. Choose one in a fun color or with an interesting print. When worn over neutrals, it will really pop. Or select a neutral one to pair over brighter colors. These can be worn over dresses, long sleeve shirts or light weight sweaters.
- Jean jackets/ lightweight jackets: This is a classic staple that never goes out of style. There are so many different choices when it comes to this kind of apparel. As I mentioned before, this looks great over plaid shirts, thermals, sweater dresses or lightweight sweaters. The most important aspect to consider in terms of jackets is the fit. If you choose a looser fitting jacket, choose a tighter fitting shirt and vice versa.
- Cardigans: Long, short, sleeveless, button down, open front; cardigans come in a vast array of colors, styles, and fabrics. During the winter months, heavy cardigans can be a great way to add extra warmth without adding a lot of extra bulk. Throw one on over your favorite comfy t-shirt and you’re good to go!
Invest in high quality pieces of clothing such as these, have fun layering them and you’re sure to stay toasty warm while looking phenomenal this winter.
Leave A Comment